Friday, April 13, 2012

Intro to The World of Tanks Blog

Hi. I am known as Darth Solo and I've been playing PC games for close to 20 years, and World of Tanks for about a year. When I stumbled upon it, World of Tanks was a revelation. Back then I was playing World of Warcraft but WoT took me completely by surprise. Here was a free-to-play game that was completely open to both paying and non-paying customers, with great graphics and excellent gameplay, simple to learn but hard to master. And it was all about WW2-era tanks! What dude doesn't like tanks, eh?

I have always been a non-social gamer at heart, hence my first gaming blog WoW Alone. World of Tanks is perfectly suited to my style of play because I don't have to know anyone to play it and I can play it for as long as I want, whether 15 minutes or 3 hours a day .

I love this game to death. I should have started a WoT blog a long time ago but I kept postponing it. Finally, realizing that there aren't many World of Tanks blogs in English out there (if you know any, please point me to them), I decided it was high time I started one. Hence, theworldoftanksblog.blogspot.com. Yeah, the name sounds a bit redundant but it's the best I could come up with thanks to squatters who grabbed better sub-domains and never used their blogs. I mean, seriously, your first (and last) post was in 2001???

Over the past year I've been involved with a few other games here and there but nothing major. I quit WoW for good and now I'm over-hyped about Diablo 3. I've been busy with my other blog, diablohead.blogspot.com. It seems that each major game in recent history has inspired me to start a blog dedicated to it. What can I say? Something inside me compels me to discuss the various aspects of these games.

Even though I'm gearing up strongly for Diablo 3, I still have a lot of stuff that I want to share about World of Tanks. All this will be from the perspective of a non-premium player. Oh, I have spent a bunch of money on the game, it's just that I don't play it sufficiently (and exclusively) that it warrants a monthly subscription. So I don't have high tier tanks. In fact, my highest tanks are tier VII. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

As of now I have a little over 5300 battles under my belt. My overall win ratio sits at 51%. These numbers will tell you that I am not the best player our there, nor the most dedicated and certainly not the most hardcore. But I do have a lot of experience playing the tanks in my garage.

Let me tell you what else I am / am not. I'm not the best, nor the worst player. Sometimes I make stupid mistakes, other times I take heroic action. Sometimes I get killed in the first couple of minutes, other times I lead the team to victory. Sometimes I barely manage to hit one enemy, other times I destroy half the enemy team. Sometimes I die stupidly, other times I make a heroic last stand. Sometimes I say stupid things and sometimes I even hit team members by mistake.



The point is that I have lousy battles and then I have amazing battles. I am human and sometimes I make mistakes. Please remember that if you see me in game. Please don't judge, lest ye be judged :)

Speaking of which... my handle is darthsolo. Up until now I've never given the names of my in-game avatars to strangers, because I value my privacy. But World of Tanks is sufficiently disconnected from these so-called "social" aspects that I don't mind if my readers encounter me in game. In fact, one guy did say hi to me once, in game, after he asked whether I was the same Darth Solo posting on WoW Alone. That encounter made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

One last thing. If you DO encounter me in game, please don't send me clan invites or such. I like to play on my own and I don't want to team up or platoon with anyone. It's nothing personal, just my whole "playing alone" doctrine. I also don't engage in Clan Wars or other competitive types of play.

I find World of Tanks very relaxing after a day's work. Luck and skill are both involved and I just love it when the tides of battle turn in your favor in the face of certain defeat.

Going forward I will post plenty of thoughts, vehicle reviews, personal strategies, snippets of wisdom, WoT anecdotes and whatever else comes to mind.

Thanks for visiting and don't forget to bookmark me if you like what you see here!

No comments:

Post a Comment